OT: What is a #!%$*& "cookie"?

1 view

grumpus

Sep 19, 2002, 11:31:33 PM9/19/02
Hi all. Maybe you can help me. What on earth is a "cookie"? I can't
tell you how many times I've tried to submit a post to the Group only
to have my computer Jonah it completely. "Your session has timed
out," and "You don't have enough cookies enabled," it tells me
delphically. To which I think "We'll see about that," as I take up
its invitation to repost the message to the Group. Then it bitchslaps
me with "Invalid Password (Aha!)" no matter how many times I attempt
to repost with the correct password. And unlike Jonah, dozens of my
incisive life-affirming cancer-curing magnum opi are still entombed in
the bowels of this pitiless machine and millions of respondents don't
even know how disappointed they are not to read them. I actually
looked at the Windows manual once but its like the War & Peace version
of Icom's instructions on how to use the scanner functions of the
R-75, which is to say totally incomprehensible. So the question is,
if I try to send mail and it doesn't go through, why can't I find it
in "Sent Items", "Drafts", or the "Outbox"? Where did it go, and how
do I retrieve it? Thanks.

Regards,

Grumpus

moontan13

Sep 20, 2002, 12:30:52 AM9/20/02

"grumpus" <mwe...@madbbs.com> wrote in message

> Hi all. Maybe you can help me. What on earth is a "cookie"? I can't
> tell you how many times I've tried to submit a post to the Group only
> to have my computer Jonah it completely. "

This appears to be a problem with your ISP. Check with them before messing
around with settings that used to work.
dm

phil :)

Sep 19, 2002, 12:40:39 PM9/19/02
howdy Grumpus:

a cookie is a tiny text file stored on your hard drive (you can find them
under 'C:\Windows\Cookies\' if you look). the cookies come from websites you
visit. when you revisit the site your web browser transmits the cookie back
to their server. it's a way for them to store information about you on your
own machine. why? it helps to identify you... ex. for time-sensitive
'passwords' [this is done on yahoo chat, i extensively hacked their system
protocol a few years ago, it's really rather interesting how it all works]
and to customize web pages to your liking. lets say you go to staples price
shopping for a digital camera... a day later you go back and low and behold
there is a digital camera on sale in the ad up top. magic? mind reading?
coincidence? or cookie? :)

under internet explorer you can do Tools -> Internet Options -> Security ->
Custom Level... and then scroll down and enable cookies! without cookies
enabled certain websites' functions will not work properly. hmm... too bad
we can't eat these cookies!

phil :)

Joel Rubin

Sep 20, 2002, 9:53:18 AM9/20/02
Websites leave cookie files on your hard disk.

The next time you go to the website the website reads the cookie and
sees what you did last time.

If you go to www.nytimes.com you have to login with a user name and
password. If you don't accept cookies you have to login again to read
every new story. If you don't erase the cookie file after you leave
the website then you will have to login again if you want to read
anything tommorrow.

There are programs which allow you to manage cookie files. (delete
them after you logoff, refuse certain cookies, review and purge, ...
different programs do different things)

Do a search for cookies at your friendly local www.tucows.com mirror.
Tucows will probably send you three or four cookies for your trouble.

When you use a free web site do you expect it to be without any
benefit to the site owner? You should try to find out if the benefit
to the site owner involves any costs to you (such as loss of privacy)
that you are not willing to pay.

starman

Sep 20, 2002, 1:39:24 PM9/20/02
9/20/02

An even bigger problem than cookies is 'spyware'. This cr*p is designed
to monitor the users activity and send the info' to advertisers. It can
really slow a computer down. Most users are not even aware that they
have spyware on there computer. It's picked up at certain websites. A
good program for detecting and removing spyware is called 'Ad-aware'.
It's free and can be found at:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

*****

Chris

Sep 21, 2002, 10:56:33 AM9/21/02
I have my cookie file on the desktop, and empty it regularly.
I have read that some cookies are more malicious than others, for lack of a
better term, so it's better safe than sorry.